We hope that you are all safe and well and that you have enjoyed the summer break. As we plan for our return to school, we wish to inform you of a variety of measures that will be in place when your daughter returns to Laurel Hill Secondary School FCJ in the coming weeks.
Please note return dates for each year group have been revised since the distribution of summer reports due to Covid-19. The return dates for each year group are as follows:
- Monday August 31st, 2020: Transition Years 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. for induction. Transition Year students are not required to attend school from Tuesday September 1st, 2020 – Friday September 4th, 2020 and will return to school fully from Monday September 7th, 2020.
- Tuesday September 1st, 2020: 3rd years & 6th years for induction. 3rd years should report to school from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and will be allowed to go home thereafter. 6th years should report to school at 1:45 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. Classes will return fully for both 3rd and 6th year pupils from Wednesday September 2nd, 2020.
- Wednesday September 2nd, 2020: 1st years & 2nd years for induction. 1st years should report to school for induction from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and will be allowed to go home thereafter. 2nd year pupils should report to school at 1:00 p.m. – 3:05 p.m. 2nd year students are not required to attend school on Thursday, September 3rd, 2020 and will return to school fully from Friday September 4th, 2020.
- Thursday September 3rd, 2020: 1st years & 5th years for induction. 5th years should report to school from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and will be allowed to go home thereafter. 1st years should report to school from 1:00 p.m. – 3:05 p.m.
- Friday September 4th, 2020: All classes run as normal for all year groups apart from Transition Year pupils who will return on Monday September 7th, 2020.
On return to school it will be compulsory for all pupils to wear a face mask at all times.
First Year pupils should arrive at the front gate of the school on each day specified above for induction. A staff member will be on hand to welcome new pupils to the school and direct them to their induction venue.Any additional required information and updates will be provided via the school website and school app over the coming weeks.
Some of the changes in school protocol include:
• Full school uniform must be worn every day. On the day of your daughter’s PE class, pupils are permitted to wear their full PE uniform to and from school as changing facilities are unavailable. Please note hoodies are not part of the school uniform and will not be permitted.
• Face masks are now a compulsory part of the school uniform and must be worn on entry into the school building.
- Entry and Exit Points
• We request that Parent(s)/Guardian(s) no longer drive down Laurel Hill Avenue to drop their daughter to school to avoid unnecessary congestion. Please note members of staff will be on hand to direct students at the school gate during the induction period.
• One-way systems will be in operation in the school building in so far as possible. Base classroom plans will be in place to avoid unnecessary congestion on the school corridors.
- Locker and Lunch Facilities
• Lockers will not be in use on return to school. Pupils are not required to bring any bag or materials to school for induction and will be advised on what materials will be required thereafter.
• Canteen facilities will not be in operation and the school shop will also be closed. Pupils are required to bring a fully packed lunch that will not require the use of hot water or any other appliance.
Covid-19 has brought about unprecedented challenges in terms of reopening schools. Every safety measure available has been put in place to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students and staff alike. However, it is imperative that personal responsibility is taken by the entire school community in order to keep each other safe. Support and cooperation from Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will be essential to overcome the significant challenges that lie ahead this academic year.
Further guidance and updates can be found on www2.hse.ie/coronavirus
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation at this difficult time and look forward to welcoming your daughter back to school in the near future.